Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Removing circuit from Panel?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

I'll just have to shut off the A/C if I want to run my tablesaw until I
can afford to upgrade to 200A. I don't suppose I can just change the
innards in the main panel to make it a 200A can I? I don't suppose I'd
gain any spaces that way anyway.

Changing the panel does not change the feed. You can buy a larger panel,
use the 100A breaker for now, and have more slots. When you have the $$,
you can change the entry service and maybe the meter box and have 200A
service.

You can also get an Amprobe and see just how much power you are using now
to see how fast you will have to upgrade.

I was hoping to not cut up the wall installing a larger can. I don't think
that's an option (buying different buses, etc....to fit the existing can to
bump up my rating). If I'm going to buy the larger panel anyway, I might
as well do it all. I've got a 200A meter, have to measure my feeds from
the meter to the main breaker, and confirm with the power company that their
feed is indeed ok for 200A. In the meantime, I'm gonna spend $24 on
breakers and get this A/C up. Then maybe this fall, I'll put in a real
service. Thanks much!
Cheers,
cc