Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default My hot attic

Steve Kulpa wrote:
our house in the Nashville area has a huge (cubic feet) attic that is
hotter then hell. There are 8 of what I call 'passive' vents mounted
near the peak, and plenty of soffet vents. Even so, there is
absolutely NO air flow. During the hot summer days, the few metal
shelves I have in there are HOT to the touch. So the attic is
absolutely useless as storage space for anything but the heartiest
items.

My plan is to replace 2 of the vents w/ those mushroom-shaped powered
vents, one on each end of the roof line, and block off the remaining
passive vents from the underside w/ a thin piece of plywood.I figure
this would force air to come in through the soffet vents and move all
that hot air out.

does that sound reasonable, and do any of you experts see a problem w/
that?
I mean blocking off the remaining vents should suffice, right, or do I
have to remove them and re-roof?

and can you believe that the dumb assed builder actually mounted some
of the vents so they cut across a rafter??? Lucky for me there are a
couple where the hole is completely between two rafters, or I'd have a
heck of a time mounting new vents.

thanks,
steve

Don't bother. Make sure the vents you have meet local codes. Don't
expect it to every be cool up there. That is why you have insulation under
that area. You ventilate to keep the temperatures down a little and really
to keep the moisture down.

My experience is that most all attempts at using power vents end up
without merit, except to those people selling them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit