Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Where to vent bathroom fan

JA wrote:
Would anyone like to weigh in on where I should vent a bathroom fan? (Not
the attic--I know that!) I've found that some home repair sites
say it's OK or preferred to vent through the soffit; others say this
is nearly as bad as venting into the attic and that one should vent
through the roof; and yet others say to avoid the roof and go through
the soffit or gable end of the house.

Does this all depend on where you live? For instance, in areas with
heavy snow, the roof vent could get blocked and therefore venting
through the soffit would be preferred, but everywhere else the roof
is the way to go? Is it really bad to vent through the soffit?

Gable end good.

Roof vent good
Like any hole in the roof it is a possible leak source. Seldom
happens in my experience.

Soffit not so good
Soffits let in air. Warm most air from one soffit is likely to be
drawn into the next, or maybe even the one you are venting through

Attic Very Bad.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit