Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Hot water recirculation pump?

Robert Gammon wrote:

George wrote:
Robert Gammon wrote:

We have a house on metered city water with two residents and our *total
consumption* is 19,000 gallons/year.

WOW, Frugal with water are we!! That is less than 2000 gallons a
MONTH!!! With two people here, no outside watering of flowers, trees,
shrubs, grass, two showers a day, three to four tubs of laundry a week,
cooking and cleaning, we are usually about 5,000 gallons a month or
60,000 gallons a YEAR, triple your useage.

Our usage pattern is similar to what you described.

Are you sure your water meter isn't counting by twos (or threes) or
you aren't supplying a neighbor?

I don't remember where I read it but typical usage for a family of two
is 20,000 gallons/year.

New water meter as of about 5 years ago. Oh, and we have a water
softner (about 40 gals a week) and a RO unit hooked to Fridge (about 10
gals a week)

Certain beyond a doubt that I am ALONE on this meter.

Hmm, single guy, occasional lawn watering and truck washing, the usual
dishwasher and laundry use and I run around 1,200 gal / month. Except
for when a pipe broke, that was a 13,400 gal month, a 3/4" line can dump
a lot of water in a short time.

One thing that everybody seems to be missing is the new unit by Taco I
think (pump people) that is sort of a hybrid system. It's a pump that's
installed at the point of use location and connects between the hot and
cold lines under the sink/shower/whatever.

You press a button and it pumps water in from the hot supply and sends
it back down the cold line (no water wasted at all) until it senses the
hot water has arrived, then it stops. Gets you near instant hot water
with zero water waste, no standby losses and minimal electric use. I've
seen it stocked at Depot and it's an easy DIY install if you have power
nearby or can install a GFCI outlet for it.

Pete C.