Posted to dfw.forsale,alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair
Mario

Default WTH Servo Dynamics amp repairman, or WTB rebuilt SD amp

In addition to the two local repair shops I mentioned, I have contacted several repair companies that are
not local. They all want at least $420 to start, plus parts or whatever else. Plus shipping, plus a two
week wait time (unless you pay for them to rush yor order)... so I was hoping to find a local electronics
guy who fixes these for a living and who would give me a better deal than going through these comapnies.
Also, so will not quote until you send them the unit.

The amp does receive feedback from the tach. However, I just found a local company (in Irving, Tx), where
it looks like the guy is going to give me a better price than anywhere else, so I am going to try him out.
I'll let you guys know how he does if anyone is interested.

Thanks Ned!

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have a milling machine that has blown three Servo Dynamics PWM SD3030 amplifiers. (Some people
call this amp a SD3030-16, but the full name is SD1-3030-163-1. It is very similar to an amp called
the SD3060.) Now that I have figured out the power problem that was causing these amps to blow, I am
now looking to repair one of them - maybe two if the price is right. This amp drives the 6hp
peak/4.3hp continous DC spindle motor on my mill.

If you have the knowledge and experience to repair these amps, please let me know (especially if you
are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area). If you can recommend a repair shop that can fix this amp, or if
you know of a shop that is selling rebuilt Servo Dynamic amps, I would appreciate knowing about that
as well.

Since I have more than one of these amps, I think I can make it easier for someone to fix them by
swapping out parts from one unit to the next. I am hoping to find a solution this week (the week of
May30 - June 5) so I can get my machine running soon.

There are quite a few businesses that repair and rebuild industrial
electronics, but they're not cheap and I don't have any recent
experience so can't make a recommendation.

I'm assuming these amps are obsolete. If so, have you considered
replacing them with a current model? If you have brush type motors it
should be dead simple. A bit more complicated if you have brushless
motors and/or tach feedback to the amp. You could check with Copley or
AMC to see if they're familiar with your amp and can make a
recommendation on a replacement. I personally prefer dealing with
Copley, but both are good.

http://www.copleycontrols.com/

http://www.a-m-c.com/

Ned Simmons

--
Mario

Please remove the "REMOVETHECAPITALS" text from my email address before replying to me.