Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

Default Benchtop Surface--Natural Fiber or Anti-Static Mat?

In article s.com, wrote:
wrote:
: Home workshop where I plan on working on stereo equipment, primarily.
: Will a natural fiber runner (carpet) work well for me as a benchtop
: surface or are the anti-static mats a must? If so, are there any DIY
: or cheaper alternatives to the expensive kind the electronic supply
: stores sell?

I'd opt for wood. Particle board. Solder and carpets don't mix. If
you need something soft, put an antistatic mat on the wood.

In the shops I worked in, we either used wood and it seemed to work
well. There is also no static risk with it. If one accidentally
hits it with a soldering iron, it's a bit more forgiving and doesn't
act as a "clipped lead magnet".

Wood is cool. I have been using MCM anti-static mats I bought 20 years
ago, and probably don't sell the same material. Non burning type of
rubber or vinyl, and to top it off, has a slight curl which holds parts
inside the mat.

greg