Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Default Clever Window Well Idea: Is this allowed?

Nate wrote:
Thanks guys - The other exterior wall in the bedroom cannot accomodate
a window. Tom, you are right; our idea would yield a 2 foot opening
between the well's side and the side of the house. It seemed to me
that this might not be allowed by code, but I have been unable to find
a specific prohibition anywhere. The only thing that I have been able
to find is a clause that says a window well must project from the
window (note that it doesn't say side of house) by at least 3 feet, and
must be at least 3 feet in width.

Perhaps you will understand why your idea does not meet the intent of
the code by understanding the purpose of that window well. It's size is
set to allow you to escape from a fire that cuts off your other egress
pathway from that room and to allow a fully equipped firefighter who is
wearing a self contained breathing apparatus on her/his back to enter to
effect rescue. There must be three feet of clearance in both dimensions
at the top of the well to allow people to climb into and out of it.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.