Posted to alt.home.repair
finding z0

Default screening an AC unit to keep out debris from the cooling fins

Robert Mech wrote:

With a number of cottonwoods in the area, the last thing I wanted to do
was to spend hours cleaning my new Carrier A/C. I got some fiberglass
screen cut to length from a hardware store and magnetic strip. Cut the
strip to length, drilled holes for the screw heads and put the screen
under the strips. So far so good after one summer and two winters.

I got the magnetic strip from
http://www.usmarkerboard.com/markerb...ls/page20.html
In my case, P-1201, as the thicker the more holding strength. Not cheap,
and shipping seems to be steep, judging from the final cost. But it was
worth it as I couldn't think of an easier and more esthetic method at
the time.

Robert

I ordered some polypropylene mesh (.03x.05" mesh size) from
McMaster-Carr yesterday. I think it's here today (by e-tracking). I
already have magnetic strip rolls from the portable car moldings I made
several years to lessen the auto dings on my then new car. We'll see. I
heard about the fiberglass mesh from Ace hardware, but wondered if the
flow might be restricted?Cheers