Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Clever Window Well Idea: Is this allowed?

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:58:42 GMT, Terry wrote:

On 29 May 2006 09:24:02 -0700, "Nate" wrote:

Thanks guys - The other exterior wall in the bedroom cannot accomodate
a window. Tom, you are right; our idea would yield a 2 foot opening
between the well's side and the side of the house. It seemed to me
that this might not be allowed by code, but I have been unable to find
a specific prohibition anywhere. The only thing that I have been able
to find is a clause that says a window well must project from the
window (note that it doesn't say side of house) by at least 3 feet, and
must be at least 3 feet in width.

Go talk to your local code officer (inspector or whatever they call it
in your state/country). He or she will know the local code well, and
will be the person who makes a decision about it anyway. They are
usually quite helpful when approached in advance of work, and might be
able to give you other suggestions.

If they dismiss the idea right away, politely show them the clause you
mentioned above, and ask them what part of the code prohibits it.

I occurs to me that, if you're desparate, you can probably just
dig up the driveway, and drop it a foot or so to get the
required clearance.