Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Default Fireproof safes

On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:50:04 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I've been disappointed in the fire ratings of household safes I have
seen in office supply stores. One $400 safe was effective for only one
hour at 1500 degrees. I wonder if there is a better way.

With safes, you generally get what you pay for. $400 is at the low
end. Pay a lot more and you get better protection.

My home has a cinder block wall for a foundation. What if, down in the
basement, I chiseled out out a small 1' X 1' section that's below
grade, dug into the earth some, and then inserted some kind of steel
box in the hole, seal it to the wall and attach a fiberglass-insulated
door of some kind. Seems like this would be cheaper and much more
effective than any commercial job.

Sounds like you're talking about a floor safe. The good: as you've
surmised, more economical than a free-standing model, and less prone
to fire damage. The bad: succeptible to liquid infiltration. Leaky
water heater, burst washer hose, overflowing toilet, spilled can of
paint or other household product, etc. can flood the container and
ruin the contents. I agree with other posters that your best bet
would be a small safe-deposit box at your local bank.