Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas G. Marshall

Default air conditioner circuit breaker trips

A.Taylor said something like:
I live in Dallas and the weather has been very nice until today. Today I
decided to use the central A/C, the unit ran without incident for maybe 20
minutes than the circuit breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and 10
minutes
later again the circuit breaker tripped (The a/c was cold before the
breaker
tripped and returned cold after I flipped the breaker). What is going on
here?

I believe I have a heat pump unit (you know the one that gets cold but not
as cold as someone with a regular unit). Thanks in advance.

I had the exact same thing, and after talking my service technician OUT of
replacing board after board in the indoor part of my a/c unit, we went to
the circuit breaker and discovered that that the wire to it was loosely
screwed in.

And discolored.

This by itself can cause a circuit breaker to throw.

We tightened the screw and it has been fine ever since.

Note: PULEEZ shut down the universe before attempting touching that screw.

--
"Realtor" and "realty" are pronounced "reel'-tor" and
"reel'-tee", *not* "reel'-a-tor" and "reel'-i-tee" !!!!