Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

Default BBQ...and Quality Stainless

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I am a pipeline welder of 26 years. I really haven't had much to do
with stainless steel in my career. I want to buy a BBQ and have noticed
in
the past 3-5 yrs that there are some pretty nice stainless BBQ's out there
for sale by Home Depot, Price Club etc... I also was told to watch what
you
buy as some of those pretty "stainless" BBQ's eventually start to rust!
This brings about the question of good and bad quality stainless and
knowing what to look for when buying a stainless BBQ.

Is there a non destructive test to do to check for good quality
stainless? I don't imagine that Home depot would be happy to see me going
at
the side of a new bbq with an angle grinder to look at the sparks. I
suppose
a magnet would be one way. Any other checks a person could make to
guarantee
quality stainless before buying?

Has anyone bought a stainless BBQ that has started to show signs of rust
that would care to comment??

Thanks...Jimi

The manufacturers' sites might have some info about ratios of various metals
used in their products. I've seen them, and don't really understand them,
but someone else might.