Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Phisherman

Default Eastern Pine

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:53:46 GMT, Fred May wrote:

Morning all, from the worlds champion lurker.
I am trying to turn a number of 36 inch spindles. The problem I am
having is that I get places where the grain picks out and leaves a very
coarse surface.Eastern pine because it is cheap, handy etc. If it were
hard wood it would be no problem, so no choice. I have used a steady
rest, kept the tools very sharp etc. What am I doing wrong? Eastern pine
because it is cheap, handy etc. If it were hard wood it would be no
problem, so no choice.
Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Fred

There are many other woods that turn much better, cleaner than pine.
Anyway, the softer the wood, the faster the cutting speed.