Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing light switch- need help!!

On 29 May 2006 16:44:59 -0700, "Help Needed"
wrote:

I live in an old apartment and am installing a dimmer switch for the
dining room- When I pulled the plate off the old light switch I see
that there is no existing ground. The new switch I bought from the
store obviously comes with a ground. My question- what do I do with
the new ground? Should I try to attach it to the back of the switch
housing in the wall? Should I clip it off? Is it safe to leave it
loose? Should I just cap it?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

What you are doing is extremely dangerous. Unless you are a certified
and licensed electrician, you should have never removed the plate.
There is electricity in that box and it can and will kill you. Call a
licensed electrician immediately. DO NOT touch that switch or
anything near it. If you have children, pets, or a wife, nail the
door shut to the room where the switch is located, or better yet, move
to a motel until the electricians arrive and do the repair. No matter
what you do, call the electric company immediately and tell them to
disconnect your electrical service to your home, until the electrician
arrives and safely secures that dangerous exposed switch. In the
future, NEVER, EVER touch any electrical equipment again. Your life
is in danger and the lives of all members of your family. One wrong
move, and you could be fried to a crisp, and possibly burn down your
entire neighborhood.
Please get professional assistance now. Do not delay !

Lawrence D.