Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default A/C Compressor Relay will not close

wrote:
Yes, it is strange. I have the correct relay, it is 24v, it is
identical to the one that was in the system prior to the service call.
I have 24vac coming to it, and the thermostat is properly controlling
this voltage flow. I can measure the voltage on the control wires
disconnected from the relay and it reads about 25vac. When I connect
the wires to the relay (and yes, I am confident I am wiring the relay
correctly, I made careful note of the hook up before I changed out the
relay) the relay does not close and when I check the voltage it reads
about half a volt.

BTW I really appreciate al the help.

John

It should still read 24V when the coil is connected. As the other
poster said, that could be due to high resistance in the feed, or too
low a resistance in the coil.

If it's the latter, your 24V transformer will probably get pretty hot.

If it's the former, you should be able to find the last point at which
there's still about 24 V by tracing back from the compressor. At some
point you'll find a component with a large drop across it.