Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Swimming pool filter questions

"rb608" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm becoming seriously disenchanted with the cartridge filter. I took
the eminently reasonable advice here and went out & bought a couple of
quarts of clarifier. The stated dosage on the label would be about 5
ounces for my pool. I put in 5 ounces, ran the filter all day, and saw
no improvement. No problem, the label says a repeat dose or a larger
dose may be needed. I put in another 8 ounces. Nada. Okay, next day,
another dose. Still nothing. Let's try more.

Long story short, I'm now about 8 doses into this clarifier business;
and I'm getting nowhere. The pool is still about as cloudy as when I
first posted a week ago. I could understand if I was seeing slow
improvement; but I'm seeing no improvement.

Chances are the clarifier I'm using may not be as effective as another
product and I'll explore that avenue also, but I expected better
performance out of the filter. As I posted earlier, this is my first
cartridge filter. Is this worthless performance what I should expect
for $300. FWIW, it's a Hayward "Star Clear" 175 sf. filter, and that
ought to be more than adequate for my little 12,000 gal pool. I'm
dismayed.

Sorry I didn't get MY eminently reasonable advice in by the deadline. I may
have saved you some money.

Take one quart of your water to Home Depot, or your local swimming pool
store. They will tell you all about your water, and what you need to do to
get it right. And for free, too.

Of course, they will want to sell you all sorts of things, but start with
the worst problem, and work from there. I found out that having chlorine
stabilizer (cyanuric acid) in my pool cut my chlorine consumption by 80%. I
don't have the problem you have with cloudiness, but the analysis will tell
you what you need to adjust. My point is that they wanted to sell me all
sorts of ph adjusters, and all sorts of things, and all I got was the
stabilizer. My water stays clear, and at the right ph, and I didn't buy all
the things that were suggested.

Oh, do buy a good test kit, and maybe even a stabilizer test kit.

Steve