Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Fuse box-electric H2O heater question

The first fuse should have arced, if the unit was heating at the time. If it
didn't and the second one did, I'd guess that one of the elements has broken
open and is grounding causing a load

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Her husband was away and she was leaving for the weekend. He told her
to shutoff the well pump. Also, since the pump we would be off he told
her to take out the two fuses for the water heater.
She said that she took out one fuse OK, but while taking out the second
fuse it was arcing. Her husband told her that she was supposed to take
them out at the same time.
My question is why would there be arcing if one of the fuses is already
out?

Assuming she has a 240V water heater, removing either fuse should cut the
power to the water heater. If not, a few thoughts come to mind...

1. There's a short somewhere?

2. She removed the wrong fuse the first time?

3. She has a 120V water heater, so the first fuse isn't in use?

4. Maybe there's a 120V load on the hot water heater circuit (timer,
recirculating pump, etc.).

5. Maybe there's a problem with the fusebox and it has nothing to do with
the water heater (see #1).

Anthony