Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default screening an AC unit to keep out debris from the cooling fins

"finding z0" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yesterday I spent most of 3 hours hosing and picking out cottonwood
fuzz and other debris from the cooling fins of my 2 outdoor AC units. I

usually do this once a year after the cottonwood stops. I missed last
year. I was thinking of using screen door like mesh to wrap around the
outside of the units to make them easier to clean. I thought about
cheap furnace filters. Any intersting solutions out there? I googled AC

& cottonwood and came up with an inventor in my home state trying to
interest investers in his product. Cheers

There is a company that makes filters for industrial cooling towers. They
use a polypropylene mesh. It is not as fine as a filter, but is fine enough
to keep out leaves, the cottonwood stuff,etc. It is washable. If you can
find the right material, you can make your own.

Inside you want fine filtration to clean the air you breath. Outdoors, you
only have to keep the debris that clogs the fins.