Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber

Default Gas dryer thermostat explanation.

I'm servicing a Kenmore gas dryer, model number 76912692. The non resettable
thermal fuse opened and needs to be replaced. When I disassembled the dryer,
there was a nice schematic (more of a block diagram) hiding under the
control panel. According to the diagram, the series of devices in line with
the heating circuit is as follows:

186ºF thermal fuse.
Operating thermostat, 150ºF or 155ºF.
High limit thermostat 205ºF.

Then from there, it goes to the gas burner assembly.

I have two questions. If the thermal fuse is set at 186º what's the point of
having a high limit switch at 205º?

The operating thermostat is a 4 terminal device. Two of the terminals make
up the single pole switch. The other two terminals have a resistance of 7k
ohms and from what I can figure out at the company's website that makes this
device, it uses some sort of biasing to alter the cutoff point. Is this
correct?

http://www.thermodisc.com/productdetail.asp?ProductID=8

Thanks for your reply.
--