Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino

Default Gluing up pieces of project AFTER finishing

On Tue, 30 May 2006 13:18:40 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

"Greg Guarino"
Snip
I decided that it would be easier to do the two different finishing
methods before the face frame is glued to the box. But it has now
occurred to me, after two coats of the Minwax product, that I will
have to clamp the "finished" face frame on while gluing.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should put between the pipe clamp
jaws and the finished wood besides the usual wood blocks. Do you think
the wood blocks might stick to the finish? Any other tips?

As swingman said, use cork on a wood block but I would add to cover the cork
with clear packing tape or waxed paper.

OK. I think I get it: Cork for no hard edges, like a wood block would
have, something non-sticky and non-porous over it. But what about my
idea of leaving the final steel wool step and the wax for AFTER I take
the clamps off? Does this make any sense?

Sometimes the cork will stick to a
fresh finish. Don't over tighten the clamps and when using PVA glues its
not necessary to leave the clamps on more that a few hours.

What is PVA glue? I've been using Titebond Wood Glue.

Thanks in advance.

Greg