Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Odd Neighbors

The house next to mine is empty. The owner died, and the son's supposedly
been fixing it up for almost 2 years, getting it ready to sell. When I first
moved in, he introduced himself along with a good looking lady he called
"his friend", who's there all the time with him, fixing up the house. A
month later, he introduced his wife. Smart guy. You think he would've done a
bit of prep work with me before introducing the wife. Reminds me of someone
I knew years ago who was having an affair. He'd take his goomar out to all
sorts of nice restaurants & hotels. He "forgot" that his wife was in charge
of paying all the bills, and that all the dinners & hotels were on his
American Express card. Duh. :-)

Lately, the neighbor's got a new hobby. He stops by 3 times a week to mow
the lawn. Half the property is in deep shade, in a spot that most
experienced homeowners would recognize as one which needed to have two
thirds of the trees taken down. A dozen pine trees growing 8 feet apart,
like in an unmanaged forest. There are 3 blades of grass in a 75 x 100 foot
area, along with lots of smallish rocks & tree roots that stick up from the
hard-as-cement soil. He's got the deck of the riding mower set so low that
it seems to be actual contact with the ground. It raises so much dust that
the guy and his mower are completely invisible at times. The sound of rocks
crashing around inside the deck offer a clue as to his location. On the
other side of the property, the grass is shorter than cheap outdoor carpet,
and turning brown. He told me last week that the problem might be lack of
nitrogen. He's out there with a spreader right now. :-)

Free entertainment. I love it. :-)