Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default Does a refrigerant leak smell?

I don't think R-22 has any smell. Might, but never been aware of it
(working with R-22 for the last dozen years). The compressor oil in an
AC system has a slight odor. Yes, it could be a system leak. You'll
know in a day or two when the AC stops cooling.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
On 29 May 2006 17:22:26 -0700, wrote:

Last night we turned our 1 year old a/c system on for the first time
this year. It felt great and we slept great. Today we were out all

day
at a memorial day picnic. We came home about 6pm and when we came in
the house there was a distinctly abnormal smell. It's almost like a
solvent or some cheap pvc product like an air mattress or pool. It's
not real strong but definitely noticeable. The house is cool and the
unit is blowing cool air. Any chance this is a refrigerant leak in

the
coil? Or is it most likely something we drug in the house that we
aren't thinking would give of a smell?

TIA,
Mark

Dead mouse or rat in the house??????????