Gunner

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 05:48:42 GMT, Carl Byrns
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:48:14 GMT, (Richard
Lewis) wrote:

Carl Byrns wrote:

Betcha a bagel he doesn't respond at all- that's his way of dealing
with anything he can't refute.

-Carl

That's fine, Carl. I'll be glad to refute you and Ed both.

No, you won't. All I said is Gunner won't reply to anything HE can't
refute. So far, I'm three for three.

By my count that is 25 states (those marked **) that allow open
carrying without any sort of permit to buy/carry etc etc etc as per
Gunner's quote.

Let's all look at the murder numbers now, shall we? What is that,
3,755 total murders in all those 25 open carry states? That's in
2000, of course....couldn't find this year's numbers. The total US
that year had 15,517 murders so that makes 11,762 in states that
restrict open carry as per Gunner's quote....and that makes a grand
total of right at 76% of all murders committed in restricted carry
states etc etc etc.

You're skewing your data to fit your argument: you don't provide a
body count for 26 states (OK, 25 and D.C.) that limit handgun
ownership.
None of the open carry states has anything resembling a major metro-
you just don't see that many turf wars in Maine.
I live near a city that has a lively gang scene that generates a lot
of drive-by and walk-up deaths. That kind of criminal activity spikes
the state murder rate but if you go 20 miles in any direction away
from downtown, and the murder rate drops off to less than one a year
(usually a crime of passion).
In short, your data isn't worth smoke off ****, because criminal
activity doesn't occur at a state or even a county level- it's very
localized- block by block. Just because one are of one city has a high
crime rate, does that mean the whole state does? Of course not.

BTW- I'm all for responsible firearm ownership. It's just that I don't
see that many responsible gun owners.

How's that foot tasting there, dude?

Sorry, I don't eat foot. How's the crow?

-Carl

I see much ado, about per hundred thousand deaths, etc etc..but the
statement was largely true on the face of it. Shrug..cherry picking
is not something unique to the Right...lol..far from it.

If 50% of the states produced 2/3 more homicide than the other 50%
armed states do..thats pretty darned good, dont you think?

At the least, it gives the lie to the legend that a legally armed and
carrying citizenry will produce a blood bath.

Gunner

"[T]he Clinton administration launched an attack on people in Texas
because those people were religious nuts with guns.
Hell, this country was founded by religious nuts with guns.\
Who does Bill Clinton think stepped ashore on Plymouth Rock?
Peace Corps volunteers? Or maybe the people in Texas were attacked
because of child abuse. But, if child abuse was the issue,
why didn't Janet Reno tear-gas Woody Allen?
-- P.J. O'Rourke, speech at the Cato Institute, May 6, 1993