Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio CD player "uneven" sound

Hello,

I am looking at a Radio Clock/CD player for my fiancee. It is a
White-Westinghouse model WCR-61462. The problem is that the audio from
the CD is playing in a sort of warped fashion. Think of a phonographic
record turntable playing a 33 RPM record. Someone comes along and puts
their finger on the edge of the record every now and then, and it slows
down the turntable. This is the symptom that I'm experiencing. It is
not in any sort of pattern (at least from what I could tell), it is
only occasionally. The optical pickup on this unit is KSS-213C if that
helps. There is a potentiometer on the side, but I'm not sure if this
is to adjust anything that would correct this issue, so for now I'm not
touching it. I cleaned the lens carefully but that did not seem to fix
the problem. Is there anything that I should be looking for
specifically on this unit?

Thanks.
Mike McWhinney