Charles

Default OT Replacing the batteries in a cordless drill battery pack

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:14:35 -0500, aribert wrote:

I've got a couple of good, relatively light weight 12v cordless drills
(about 6 or 7 years old). The battery pack capacity is just not what it
was years ago. I know there is an outfit that rebuilds the battery
packs with a greater current? capacity Ni-cad. I just don't want to
spend quite as much as they want for a single battery pack rebuild and I
don't mind spending a little time to do it myself. I was in Sears a few
days ago and bought an 18v battery pack - new, open box, customer return
for $23 in the bargain area in the tool department. I intend to use
this as a source for the batteries needed to replace the ones in mine.

The batteries in my old pack are labeled: N-1300SC. THe ones in the
Sears 18v pack are labeled: N-1900SCR. I assume the N is for Ni-cad.
Does the 1900 imply a higher battery capacity, what are the units? If
so, could the extra 1900 battery capacity overtax the old 12v charger
that was intended for the 1300 batteries? I'll have 5 c-size Ni-cads
batteries left over - can I buy 5 additional batteries and upgrade
another battery pack - I assume that I will need Ni-cads that are rated
at 1900? THe leads between the batteries are metal strips that appear to
be resistance welded between the batteries. I assume that I can solder
wires onto the ends of the batteries - correct? Is there a way to test
each Ni-cad in a pack - I have one old battery pack that shorts out the
fuse in my charger if I plug it in? Thanks for reading this far and I'm
hopeful for answers, directions to links or suggestions.

I ran onto this site while searching

http://nicdlady.com/

--

- Charles