Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Ian_m

Default Kitchen mods, new house, violates planning permission?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi...
We're looking at buying a new house, for which they are just at the
"mud and foundations" stage by the looks of it. (It's being built by
Persimmon.)

Now, when we asked the saleswoman if we could rearrange things like the
kitchen cupboards from their normal layout (in the showhome for
example), she said no, because it would violate the planning
permission. "We have to build what we said we would build" she
explained.

This sounds bonkers to me. I'm inclined to think they just can't be
bothered to accomodate buyers who want to tinker with the standard
setup.

Yes its true. We tried to get our kitchen modified, whilst house was at
foundation level and it would have had to involve the local council + cost
to us. In the end we decided against.

Our neighbours, though, had the "standard" build house modified (different
bath and kitchen) and had to get the place inspected (and pay for
themselves) by the local council before a completion certificate was issued.
I think the building firms can issue a building certificate themselves if
they are like the "show house" that the council has already approved.
Builders we really helpful in accomodating their requirements as long as
they paid. Don't tell them (previous owners) as the new owners who recently
bougth the house have redone the kitchen as the layout was "crap".