Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default PSU motherboard connector

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:52:10 GMT, Rich Webb
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:59:58 +0100, Pooh Bear
wrote:

The guy at Maplins is right. The pin out of the connector is standard not the
wire colour.

As you noted previously, insanity. However, insanity is not precluded.
Google for "Dell nonstandard" for a slice of the horror stories. There
is indeed a standard connecter and pinout. Some manufacturers cough
apparently use the standard connector but a non-standard pinout.
Clever, eh?

I recently tried to use a 4-pin HD power cable that I'd salvaged from
an Apricot (?) some years ago. I noticed that the red and yellow wires
were interchanged. I've heard that Commodore used to do things like
this, too.

- Franc Zabkar