Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing bathroom light fixture

I hope someone might be able to help me with problem that happened
tonight. I am renovating a bathroom in a 40 year old house and was
replacing the light fixture when the circuit for the master bath and
bedroom went off. I only had the switch off, not the entire circuit. At
the exact moment it went out I was removing the light's mounting plate
from the wall and had pulled slightly on the two wires coming out of
the wall. All my circuits are not labled (I know, what a stupid thing
to admit). I can't really find which circuit is the master bedroom and
bath. I tried switching the breakers on and off and seeing if anything
went out. I found two circuits that did not appear to switch anything
on/off. I replaced them, but no luck. I talked with an electrician
and he mentioned that I might have created a short in the light switch.
Should I replace the light switch? How about the wire from the switch
to the light? All circuits are on now, and there is no power in the
master bedroom and bath. If there was a short wouldn't it trip the
breaker? Any suggestions?