Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush,alt.religion
JerryL

Default Memorial Day

"HeyBub" wrote in message

I prefer to thank Bush for the roughly 30 million people who now have a
chance for freedom and prosperity.

I'll also thank him on behalf of the 300 million Americans who've not
suffered another terroristic attack. No one can prove the terrorists have
been dissuaded because of what Bush did, but common sense indicates a
strong probability that "leaders" of other places don't want their
countries turned into another Iraq or Afghanistan.

Remember what you supposedly "honor." Every one of the 3000-odd
fatalities you cite were volunteers - members of our warrior class. They
enrolled because of their ability to inflict violence. That's their
nature.

Believe it or not, there are members of our society who fervently wish
they had been aboard one the planes of Septermber 11th. They say to
themselves: "I could have made a difference!" These are the ones who run
toward the sound of the distant guns, to whom the smell of gunsmoke is
sweeter than any rose. These 3000 that you want to "honor" were not
cannon-fodder sent to the front lines by Bush to simply die in some futile
gesture; they were the self-selected selfless who all, no doubt, thanked
Bush for the opportunity to live up to their destiny. They were members of
small, but necessary, communities whose leaders, in the past, have said
such things as:

"Spartans, since we can no longer defend the pass, the order for today is:
Attack."

"Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead."

"I have not yet begun to fight."

"Because we're here, lad. No one else. Just us."

How come you are not serving? If you're too old to fight how would you feel
to have one of your family or loved one returned in a body bag. A person
killed or maimed for a country that hates us. How do you feel about the
unfortunate Americans in this country that have it worse than the Iraqis?