Posted to alt.home.repair
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Default Clever Window Well Idea: Is this allowed?

On 28 May 2006 22:01:12 -0700, "Nate" wrote:

We are finishing our basement and have a problem with one of our window
wells. If we cut it out to spec, then it protrudes directly into our
driveway (which is already narrow). We have thought of a couple
solutions and would like to hear advice or opinions.

Solution #1: We thought about finding a window well cover that was
strong enough to be able to drive a car over. After looking online, we
realize that those are not readily available. And not wanting to have
to tear up our driveway we thought of:

Solution #2: This is the one we are not sure is allowed. Most code
reads that the well has to protrude out 36" from the window. Are you
allowed to set the window back into the room in order to decrease the
distance from which the window well extends from the side of the house?
We are talking about building the window about a foot in from the wall
of the basement bedroom. This would leave a good 2 feet protruding
outside the house, and we wouldn't have to tear out our driveway.

Any advice?

Remove the window !