Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Gas dryer doesn't work - repair or replace

Nick Danger wrote:
OK, appliance fans - let's hear what you think. I have a Maytag gas
dryer purchased in 1988. In 2001, the igniter failed and it cost $149
to get it replaced. (I'm not willing to consider DIY where propane is
involved.) Now, once again, it isn't producing a flame. My guess is
that the same repair would cost $175-$200 today. Probably most of the
cost is for the guy to drive the truck out here, so getting an
estimate first isn't practical.
Would you repair a dryer that was built back in the days when (we
like to think) they made them from Big Iron and designed them to last
forever, or buy a new one that probably has hundreds of digital
settings and is much more energy efficient but is made mostly from
plastic? If going the "Replace" route, what to buy? Our needs are
simple; we just want it to dry our clothes and last a long time. We
do want it to be a gas-powered model though.

I would also suggest repair. You may want to consider DIY. You don't
need to get involved with the propane in any direct way. Get a book or find
a good web site, remember not to touch the igniter (if it is a hot body
type). It should be a easy job. However the part is not going to be cheap.
In any case it is cheaper than new.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit