Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

Its too bad that individuals like Shopdog just don't understand that
when it comes to electricity "rules are NOT" made to be broken.

These types just don't get the fact that we are all human and we can
make mistakes. Instead of spending a few more bucks to make 100%
certain that no one can get hurt, they find ways to cheat the system
and then when someone does get hurt, they say "Oops I didn't realize
that could happen!"

Wonder if this guy has a hot tub without GFCI protection, "cause GFCI's
are only a money grab for manufacturers" "Electricity doesn't kill
people, people kill people!"

If I sell the house, the genny goes with me, the outlet can stay, that way if the
new owners decide to listen to a radio outback, well what do ya know theres
an outlet out ther, and guess wht, IT Works, its actually transmitting power
throught it. Hmmm, hoodathunkit!

This is exactly the problem. You are backfeeding the house panel
through your existing electrical system. If you or someone else
forgets to throw the main breaker off, someone will get killed. In
addition, in order to do this, your extension cord has an ILLEGAL end
on it that is live --- and it can kill someone too if not disconnected.
IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE US ELECTRICIANS, CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL INSPECTOR!

Again Sorry about the Rant,

For anyone reading this ---- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ---- Just follow
the correct rules. It isn't worth someone else getting seriously hurt
or killed over such a simple thing as electrical safety. The rules are
set out for a reason --- usually because someone has died from the
result of improper procedure.

If you have any doubts about what you are doing seek the advice of a
qualified tradesperson or the local inspector to get the direction you
need to have the work done properly.

What Shopdog has done is unsafe and if inspected by a local inspector,
he would have serious issues to deal with! There is no need for it ---
especially with the newer relatively inexpensive solutions available.

Hopefully the IBEW, the local power supply company or the local
inspectors will find these people who take shortcuts before someone
gets hurt....

Glen