Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett Price

Default power conditioning

I wonder about the initial assumption that a small generator is unsafe
for TV/PC. Isn't the generator's output pretty close to a perfect sine
wave - better than what comes out of a UPS? The frequency may go up and
down a bit - I don't think this is a big problem unless you are using a
turntable. Voltage will waiver but if you don't overload the generator
this might not be too bad.

If you wish to use a UPS w. the generator, be sure to buy one that has a
sensitivity switch to ignore generator variations.

Mike Berger wrote:
For the most part, yes.

wrote:

OK, inverters come with outputs in true sine wave and modified sine
wave, with the modified wave units being more common and cheaper. Will
tv's & computers work ok with modified sine wave inverters?