Gary Coffman

Default Best way to clean a negleted Shizuoka mill???

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:11:52 -0600, "R Laury" wrote:
I just bought a Shizuoka CNC mill . The iron is in super excellent shape but
it has been
neglected for about 5 years. I plan to load it on a flat bed trailer and
bring it to my
shop (about .5 miles away) I want to really clean this thing up before I
bring it inside
for refurbishing. I can rent a high pressure washer if needed to knock the
crud off.
But what can I use to soften this goop up. Also, do you guys think the
pressure washer
idea is ok?. I plan to remove the controls, cover up the head and use it
mostly on the main casting and knee.
Also, would it be ok to use Scotch bright pads in the table?? The table is
in mint condition
but stained from years of neglect. Any ideas appreciated.

I wouldn't use a pressure washer. That'll put too much water in places
water shouldn't go. Steam cleaning would be better if you want a power
method. As for the cleaning solution, a 50/50 mix of Gunk engine cleaner
and kerosene applied vigorously with a brush has always worked well for
me.

I'm always a bit dubious about using abrasives on precision machined
surfaces. But if you just can't stand the stained look, Scotchbrite pads
marked for use on non-stick cookware are relatively mild.

Gary