Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

Default Machining In The Living Room aka A Lathe In A Desk

On Mon, 29 May 2006 16:47:54 +1000, Clifford Heath
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
I got one of those shop-vac air cleaners... it'll clear the air of heavy dust

Beware - heavy dust is *not* the main problem. The super-fine stuff
you can smell but not see is *deadly*, long-term, and it gets through
all but the very best filters. And even those, a bit.

Point noted and taken- my suggestion was more oriented towards the
cleanliness aspect of working in a living space. I don't suggest the
shop vac thing will help with health issues, it just keeps the place
from looking like you haven't dusted anything in 20 years. The reason
I pointed out the concrete and drywall dust is that I have it mainly
for remodeling jobs where it's not acceptable to leave a layer of dust
over everything in the client's house, and a window is not immediately
availible. If you're woodworking in your own home, that'd make
yourself or your family the client, and it does a nice job in that
regard. YMMV.

I use the house vac system since it's mounted in my workshop,
and after using the thickness sander in there even for five minutes,
the air becomes positively hazardous even though it *looks clear*.

Since I live in a temperate climate and use no heating or humidifier,
I fitted an external vent for the vac's exhaust - such a relief!

Sounds like it works, but perhaps a respirator is in order if you're
having that many problems with the fine dust. It still has to go by
you to get sucked outside, after all.