Posted to rec.woodworking
Clifford Heath

Default Machining In The Living Room aka A Lathe In A Desk

Prometheus wrote:
I got one of those shop-vac air cleaners... it'll clear the air of heavy dust

Beware - heavy dust is *not* the main problem. The super-fine stuff
you can smell but not see is *deadly*, long-term, and it gets through
all but the very best filters. And even those, a bit.

I use the house vac system since it's mounted in my workshop,
and after using the thickness sander in there even for five minutes,
the air becomes positively hazardous even though it *looks clear*.

Since I live in a temperate climate and use no heating or humidifier,
I fitted an external vent for the vac's exhaust - such a relief!