Posted to rec.woodworking
HDRDTD

Default Machining In The Living Room aka A Lathe In A Desk

Before I inherited my fathers house a few years ago when he passed on, I
lived in a 1-bedroom apartment for almost 15 years.

During thos e days, I started to get interested in woodworking again with
the initial project being a large corner desk for my PC and all it's
goodies.

During the construction of that desk, I had to buy all the various tools i'd
be needing, including the usual Biscuit joiner, routers, sanders, dovetail
jig, etc including a table saw. I ended up buying a Dewalt DW744 contracter
model so I could put it in teh bedroom closet in between projects and haul
it out to the dining room when I needed to use it.

It worked out quite well.

I ended up building the original corner desk, another desk to sit beside it,
another even larger main desk, as well as a roll around tool chest for all
my hand tools.

Everything was made out of Oak, and the finish was brushed on. No spray
painting.

Never got a single complaint from any of the neighbors about the noise. I
just used common sense to use the more noisey tools during the daytime or
early evening and not for prolonged amounts of time.

Sawdust? not a real problem, used a shop vac after every use as well as just
happening to have light brown carpeting....

"Guess who" wrote in message
news
On 28 May 2006 09:46:58 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I am more than a bit surprised that there is so little interest in this
subject....doesn't anyone do any craft type work in the living area of
their homes?

I thought it was a troll. Where do you fix your motorbike? In the
bedroom?