Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Default Home-built Grass Vac?

I've built 2 so far and am looking at a third. The hardest thing to the
entire job is balancing the impeller. I build mine out of 1/4" plate
with a 12" circle housing and the impeller itself is a 4 blade design. I
have also built one with a modified snowblower impeller. 4 blades seem
to work the best at that size and they are easier to balance as well.
The blades are cut out of 1/4" and look like a rectangle with a bite out
of the outside corner. They extend into the volute area and curve to
follow the housing up to the outlet area. For collection I use a garden
cart with a light steel cover that has a 10" X 24" section of expanded
metal with a chunk of window screen behind it as the vent. 5 HP works
well.
--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

"Mickey Feldman" wrote in
message ...
Anyone here built a grass clippings collector for their garden
tractor? Something that would fit on the 3-point hitch and probably be
driven by an old lawnmower motor (vertical shaft) since they're a dime
a dozen.

I'm wondering about the blower part in particular. My first thought is
that something like the impellor used in a shop dust collector would
work well, but perhaps experience says other wise?

Any shared experience or speculation welcomed.

Thanks,

Mickey