Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default OT - Those *#&#%$^& Drivers With Cellphones

On 29 May 2006 07:08:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, D Murphy
quickly quoth:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
ps.com:

snip

The estimates of annual deaths reported in this week's article (2,600)
may well be low. The number, for U.S. deaths related to drivers using
cell phones, comes from a 2002 study by the Harvard Center for Risk
Analysis (HCRA). Researchers then estimated that the use of cell phones
by drivers caused approximately 2,600 deaths.

Ok. That works out to one fatality per billion miles driven. It hardly
seems like a crises to me.

wetm Crisis. /wannabe English teacher mode

But go ahead and legislate a little more freedom away. It's very trendy
these days.

Seeing as how you are seven times more likely to be killed in a plane crash
per mile travelled. And as a member of the general population you are just
as likely to be killed by a motorcycle as you are a cell phone weilding
driver, perhaps we should ban them as well.

I'd like to see tickets for wreckless driving issued to each driver
who is on the phone when they're involved in an accident. Take away
their license for awhile and just _maybe_ they'd learn to pull over
when they had a phone call (or argument with a passenger), eh?

I'd like to see cops pull over people who are engaged in an argument
(with kids OR adults) in a moving vehicle, too. How many times have
you seen a mother reach into the back seat and swat a brat, or use her
hands dozens of times to emphasize points in a heated discussion with
a passenger? These folks are dangerous, too.

Ever watch a driver who has dropped their cigarette between their
legs?

Maybe some of these will be new "reality" TV shows. yawn
(Thank Buddha for commercial-free digital radio channels.)

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com