Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Need servo motors

On 29 May 2006 03:48:28 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to :
Unfortunately your motor is too big and heavy.

This motor came out of an articulated welding robot.

It looks about the size that the stepper motors on my Bridgeport
BOSS-3 (Series I) were -- and *that* had ballscrews. You will probably
need something bigger to drive Acme screws. This was made from scratch
as a CNC machine -- back around 1975 or so, IIRC.

And they were mounted more inboard -- the X-axis under the table
to the right of the knee (and it turned the ball-*nut*, not the screw,
which was rigidly mounted to one end of the table). The Y-axis is
mounted under the knee, and the Z-axis mounted to the right of the head,
with the ball screw hollow and surrounding the quill, so the force is on
the axis of the quill, instead of on one side thus being likely to tilt
the quill and produce uneven wear.

And -- the stepper motors were mounted inside a massive finned
heat sink with a thermal goo between the OD of the motors and the ID of
the heat sink assembly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

http://www.teranews.com ***