Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
john2

Default Kitchen mods, new house, violates planning permission?

wrote:
Hi...
We're looking at buying a new house, for which they are just at the
"mud and foundations" stage by the looks of it. (It's being built by
Persimmon.)

Now, when we asked the saleswoman if we could rearrange things like the
kitchen cupboards from their normal layout (in the showhome for
example), she said no, because it would violate the planning
permission. "We have to build what we said we would build" she
explained.

This sounds bonkers to me. I'm inclined to think they just can't be
bothered to accomodate buyers who want to tinker with the standard
setup.

Anybody know if her claim has any basis in fact?

Complete and utter b*****ks, planning would only be concerned with
appearance and window locations. And, from bitter experience, even if
they agree to the mods, once you have paid them all the money they will
do absolutely nothing and you will get the original kitchen (due to
"admin" problems), since kitchen mods cost them real money, say 1
man-week or £1000-£2000 with overheads.

So subtract the cost of a kitchen from the purchase price and only pay
when the kitchen is to your satisfaction or buy it seperately from a
kitchen company.

john2