Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

Default Cordless drill - best for occasional use

On Sun, 28 May 2006 19:12:34 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote

Decent Ni-Cads hold a usable charge for a few months. If they're don't
they're faulty or poor quality. Unfortunately, NiMH don't hold a charge
as long. Weeks, more like. If you really must have a cordless drill that
is ready to go at any time in peak condition you'll need to arrange some
sort of timed charge.

I have a cheap (£20) cordless drill that came with two batteries.

The problem that I have with infrequent use is that the charger is a one
shot operation. It charges up the battery when it is placed in the
holder but once charged it switches off forever allowing the battery to
self discharge over time. This usually results in both batteries having
a low charge when required for that quick unexpected job.

I am contemplating opening up the charger to see if I can find a
suitable way of adding a diode/resistor to allow a constant trickle
charge.

Try plugging it in via a cheap 7 day time switch set up to apply power
once or twice per week.

Hopefully when the power comes back on it will restart from square
one. Unless there is *Charge" button you have to press to initiate
charging. :-(

DG