Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Cordless drill - best for occasional use

On Sun, 28 May 2006 19:57:15 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

NiMh don't have the memory effect of NiCd batteries

What is this 'memory effect' of which you speak? Is it the effect only
ecperienced when you are powering say a satelite from a battey solar
panel where the energy use & charge periods are highly repetitive?

And should you actually get into this state *one* change of charge /
discharge will break the 'effect' ..?

Voltage depletion is probably a more accurate term, but most people haven't
heard of that, so "memory effect" has become used to refer to a number of
phenomena that cause problems where poor quality NiCds are charged
inappropriately with poor quality chargers.

Ok .. (we could give the viewer the benefit of the doubt not propogate
a myth / poor terms though eh ...) ;-)

I have had Nicads in many forms and uses over many years and never
experienced this 'memory effect' ?

Of all the rerchargables I have had so far the Nicads have shown to be
the most durable ..

Provided that they are good quality ones, properly charged with a decent
charger then that may well be true.

That isn't the application here though.

Isn't it? I suggest (within reason) any production battery / charger /
portable drill used *properly* will do what the OP requires but none
will do what he hoped ;-)

All the best ..

T i m