Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Default what's my flat roof?

ameijers wrote:
Can't see it from here, but it sounds like 1 or more layers of old
hot-mop roof that some fool painted with 'trailer paint' to reduce
heat load and/or stop minor leaks. Best course of action is probably
a total tear-off and replacement with a modern membrane roof. (I've
personally never seen an actual rubber roof- it is either
asphalt+mopped tar+gravel, or some sort of plastic membrane painted
with a sealant.)

Expensive, messy, a real PITA. But it does give an opportunity to
inspect the deck surface and fix any mushy spots. You can usually
also add several inches of stiff insulation to improve the R-factor,
and as one of the other guys noted, they can add some slope where
needed, to improve drainage. A common trick is to slightly slope the
insulation toward and existing or new scupper hole and/or downspout
on the side of the roof the neighbors see. Slope is created either by
carved layers of the insulation board, or even via sprayed foam.
Depending on climate, you then pick the surface color- light if you
want to reduce A/C load, darker if you want snow to melt more
quickly. Most flat roofs I have seen go on in last few years are pale
gray or tan.

Yes, you do want somebody who does flat roofs on a regular basis, not
some guy reading the manual while he does it. It is a specialty, and
experience makes a big difference on speed and quality of the
installation.

Hope your bank balance is in good shape. It will be painful, but
better to do it the right way and get it over with, IMHO.

aem sends...

Excellent advice, every word of it. There are a number of replacement
roof systems, here is a basic description of them and some of the
advantages and disadvantages of each. One other poster suggested you
contact a commercial roofer and I second that idea. Be sure you
understand how the flashing and drain systems will work - many of the
problems that I see with flat roofs could have been avoided with proper
edge flashing and proper sloping for drainage.

http://www.urbanedge.org/green-housi...e=RoofingTypes