Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default How do get the hot air out?

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
All my home theater stuff is in a garage converted to family room (by
previous owner, I would have kept the garage); anyway... having the stuff
in the family room is nice because it's far away from the bedrooms and I
can listen to music and watch movies late at night without disturbing the
house.

All that stuff generates heat and plenty of it. Even when the rest of the
house is cool in summer, the family room is hot. The problem, I believe,
is poor air circulation between the family room and the rest of the house.
The family room and living room share a wall and I was thinking of
installing a vent near the ceiling to help the air circulate. The downside
is sound leakage into the rest of the house. A window air conditioner
would fit but I already have a lot of electronics plugged into one room
and I hate to add more, also I hate to buy another air conditioner when
the house has central air. Another option would be installing a cold (hot)
air return but I'm not sure it would help.

Ideas? Comments? Help!

--
Mac Cool

Very typical problem.

Your fooling yourself if you think a vent is going to do much. Low pressure
air does not move very well. (return)

Call a licensed pro that can check the system. Adding load, to an existing
system can be problematic. IE it will not perform properly. Any thing here
would be a WAG.

I know some one who has the same situation. They installed a through the
wall unit for when they use the room. Yes they ran a dedicated circuit to
the panel for the a/c