Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Danger

Default Gas dryer doesn't work - repair or replace

OK, appliance fans - let's hear what you think. I have a Maytag gas dryer
purchased in 1988. In 2001, the igniter failed and it cost $149 to get it
replaced. (I'm not willing to consider DIY where propane is involved.) Now,
once again, it isn't producing a flame. My guess is that the same repair
would cost $175-$200 today. Probably most of the cost is for the guy to
drive the truck out here, so getting an estimate first isn't practical.

Would you repair a dryer that was built back in the days when (we like to
think) they made them from Big Iron and designed them to last forever, or
buy a new one that probably has hundreds of digital settings and is much
more energy efficient but is made mostly from plastic? If going the
"Replace" route, what to buy? Our needs are simple; we just want it to dry
our clothes and last a long time. We do want it to be a gas-powered model
though.