Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default How do get the hot air out?

I just had a $6000 central heating system installed. All the load
calculations were done by supposed experts, and my music room (200 sq ft)
gets very warm as soon as I get more than two people in there jamming. The
"expert" installers put a one ft square return vent through the door between
the music room and the living room, but it is totally inadequate. Only way I
can keep it cool is to open the door. I'm considering putting the window a/c
back in or adding a second vent in the door. My point is, you recommend
getting a good HVAC man (or woman) but how does one know a good or bad HVAC
man (or woman) until after the fact? These people were approved by the TVA
and Upper Cumberland Electric so I figured they had to know what they were
doing but apparently approval means nothing.

Bob

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
I would suggest that there may be two problems.

First, I am going to guess that the insulation and the heat-cooling for
that room is insufficient or has been rigged without really doing it
right. I suggest that you have a good HVAC man (or woman) do the numbers
and calculations to see what is happening and how to resolve it.

It might help if you can provide a air return above the equipment area.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Mac Cool" wrote in message
All my home theater stuff is in a garage converted to family room (by
previous owner, I would have kept the garage); anyway... having the stuff
in the family room is nice because it's far away from the bedrooms and I
can listen to music and watch movies late at night without disturbing the
house.

All that stuff generates heat and plenty of it. Even when the rest of the
house is cool in summer, the family room is hot. The problem, I believe,
is poor air circulation between the family room and the rest of the
house.
The family room and living room share a wall and I was thinking of
installing a vent near the ceiling to help the air circulate. The
downside
is sound leakage into the rest of the house. A window air conditioner
would fit but I already have a lot of electronics plugged into one room
and I hate to add more, also I hate to buy another air conditioner when
the house has central air. Another option would be installing a cold
(hot)
air return but I'm not sure it would help.

Ideas? Comments? Help!

--
Mac Cool