Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default convert sink drain to washing machine drain?

shawn wrote:
I'm redoing my bathroom and considering an idea of a stacked laundry
closet in there. The place I'm considering is where one of the sinks
was. Is it possible to use the previous sink drain plumbing to drain a
washing machine into? or would it be too small? Its and 80's house on
slab with pvc i think the sink drains are all 1 1/2 inches.

I would think it would be ok, especially since the newer washers
typically use less water...

Thanks for any advice someone can provide.- shawn

You're probably right about the 1 1/2" drain size.
Washer drains are 2", but you *might* get away with it.
Remove the existing 1 1/4" P-Trap and stub out a
1 1/2" PVC trap from the San TEE in the wall.
From the trap inlet side run a 1 1/2" PVC standpipe about 36"
off floor. If the washer hose is too big to fit, put
a 2" X 1 1/2" coupling on.

If you have room for a utility tub, drain the washer into that.

Jim