Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default CAC startup question

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...

jim_duprey wrote:
. For a crash
course, take a look at
http://home.howstuffworks.com/ac2.htm

Thanks for that link. I learned a lot. Today was a lot warmer so I
turned on the A/C and this time I went to the A coil on my furnace. I
removed the access panel and felt the pipes were cold after the
expansion valve and throughout the coil.Also it felt cold blowing
against my face. Plus I saw condensation dripping into the pan so I
guess its doing its job as far as removing the humidity.
In an unrelated matter, I noticed that my attic fan was not turning on.
So I went into my attic and to my surprise I heard the motor humming. I
tried turning the blades, but it did not want to go. So I had a seized
motor. I picked up another motor at HD so I'll put it in tomorrow. The
attic fan really makes a difference as far as keeping the house cool.
I also noticed a problem with my new Honeywell T-Stat. ( look for a
seperate thread).

That brings up another possibility. The A/C is not going to be able to
cool as well as it might as long as the humidity is high. When a home has
been open for some time to the outside air and when that air has been moist,
the house also absorbs a lot of moisture. It can take a few days to dry out
the house (rugs, wood etc.). In the mean time it may appear that the A/C is
not doing it's job. Just how much effect this is depends on a number of
factors so it may not always apply.

My old home and a home of a friend of mine suffered this greatly and it
often took three days or more each season before the house was dried out and
things were comfortable inside. My current home takes just a few hours.