Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

Shopdog wrote:
Who is going to be at my house when the power goes out? If I'm not there
then sure as hell no one else is going to worrying about the power! If I
sell the house, the genny goes with me, the outlet can stay, that way if the
new owners decide to listen to a radio outback, well what do ya know theres
an outlet out ther, and guess wht, IT Works, its actually transmitting power
throught it. Hmmm, hoodathunkit!

My genny is a portable emergency power unit, it IS NOT hooked into the house
ready and on standby, it is in my garage. If the power goes out, I I take
the genny out throw my main fire it up and I have power. Whats so hard to
understand!

Searcher

Be aware that it is becoming common practice to pull meters on any home
that declines a check on the connection of a generator during storm
recovery and individual services are the last thing restored. So keep a
lot of fuel on hand as you may be in for a long outage. The cost of a
laboratory listed interlock kit is around sixty dollars. A weatherproof
generator inlet is around eighty dollars. So you saved maybe two
hundred dollars by using a suicide cord. The International Brotherhood
of Electrical Workers (IBEW) is committed to seeking manslaughter
indictments against anyone who causes the death of an outside wireman by
back feeding receptacle outlets. But of course you'll never make a
mistake!
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison